[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - Mysterious Song

Mysterious Song

PC Engine programming, homebrew and related discussion.

Mysterious Song

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:37 am

Here is a set of screen shots I put together, as a suggestion to use to showcase the game. Nod decided to instead show only the beginning of the game and various menus on the Projects page at Frozen Utopia.

I chose these pics as a non-spoilery way to show the amount of variety in the game. They are the kind of shots that publishers would give magazines for previews back in the day.

ImageImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Here is what the final cover art looks like.

Black Tiger
Site Admin

Re: Mysterious Song

Postby runinruder » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:40 am

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this to you before, but I think the battle backgrounds look very nice.

One of those maze scenes reminds me of this cool part of Tenshi no Uta II:

runinruder

Postby esteban » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:23 am

I love the image of Darm Tower. Very nice.

I'm pretty sure I made the same corny comment eons ago, by the way.
esteban

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:21 am

runinruder wrote:I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this to you before, but I think the battle backgrounds look very nice.

One of those maze scenes reminds me of this cool part of Tenshi no Uta II:

I'm glad you like the battle bgs, since I felt that they were the game's biggest weakness before I started working on the cinemas. I was very happy when got to see them make it into the game so intact, even if most lost a lot of their art to the windows.

The glass-looking platforms reminded me of the final area of FFIV and the Warmech area of the tower in original FF. That Teshi No Uta shot looks better than any of them though. :)

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the meteor path/space dungeon in Mysterious Song has dual layer parallax like similar spots in FFIV. It's superfluous, but very nice to have included in an early hombrew PCE RPG like this.

esteban wrote:I love the image of Darm Tower. Very nice.

I'm pretty sure I made the same corny comment eons ago, by the way.

I think that Emerald Rocker beat you to it last time. ;) When I took over for the cinema graphics, the tower was dark gray and the same width all the way up. It looked kinda like a chimney. I looked at paintings of the Tower of Babel as inspiration and remembered what it looked like in the background of the twin titan boss fight from Forgotten Worlds. When it came time to color it, I wanted to make it stand out against the traditional gray scale mountains (established on the overworld map), so I chose the PCE's second-most gray looking gray scale, which is purple-ish.

I'm glad that it reminds people of Darm Tower, which was also obviously inspired by the Tower of Babel. People who worked on the game usually use Dragon Warrior as a reference to give people an idea of the length of the original game and to a lesser degree, the scope. But I think that Ys is an equally accurate comparison of what to expect in length and pacing. The original quest, now dubbed Act I, has you questing across a small land and clearing a few dungeons before before entering a long tower dungeon.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby runinruder » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:13 am

That part in Tenshi 2 uses parallax too. Unfortunately, like the other scenes in TnU2 that employ parallax, it chops along a la Ys III--to the extent that the game actually slows down during that part. The parallax parts look wonderful in stills and should have looked great in action, but the choppiness just murders them. Hopefully, the MS parallax turned out better.
runinruder

Postby Black Tiger » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:22 am

runinruder wrote:That part in Tenshi 2 uses parallax too. Unfortunately, like the other scenes in TnU2 that employ parallax, it chops along a la Ys III--to the extent that the game actually slows down during that part. The parallax parts look wonderful in stills and should have looked great in action, but the choppiness just murders them. Hopefully, the MS parallax turned out better.

The MS parallax is perfectly smooth and feels like hardware scrolling. :)

At least the choppy scrolling in Ys II & III features several layers at times. Somehow, knowing that they're suped up computer ports with faithful scrolling, but nicer color, makes them tolerable. Otherwise, I'd rather have no parallax than something choppy or unusual looking.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby Black Tiger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:33 am

The "final" cover art in my original post has been updated with the latest revision. ;)
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Return to Fox Hound