[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - Nat's thoughts about the Duo's Shanghai series

Nat's thoughts about the Duo's Shanghai series

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

Nat's thoughts about the Duo's Shanghai series

Postby nat » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:57 am

Shanghai
For what's essentially a launch title, Shanghai brings the goods. It's lean, it's mean, and Shanghai lovers will find all the essentials here. The first game was a collaboration between Activision and Hudson Soft. You probably don't care, but I mention it for a reason I'll touch on later.

* Music is impressive chip fare, all of it very fitting and atmospheric. You have a choice of 3 different heavily Asian-inspired tunes to match tiles to. For a cart that came out in '87, the no-frills soundtrack still holds up technically well against many later titles.

* Graphics are also no-frills, but they get the job done and are crisp, clear, and easy to read. Unfortunately the background is a never-changing green color, but it's pretty non-descript and inoffensive.

* Gameplay is classic Shanghai action. The first installment lets you choose between 3 different tilesets. You can access the in-game menus at any time and an on-screen counter informs you of how many tiles you have left to clear. There is also a "HINT" option in the in-game menu in case you get stuck, but only dirty cheaters would use that.

* Somebody had the brilliant idea to create a patch that translates the in-game menus because, you know, Shanghai is extremely text-heavy. Either way, the patch is out there, and if you've got a flash cart for your Turbo there really isn't any reason NOT to download the patch and play the game with English menus.

Shanghai II
Part 2 is an upgrade in every way over part 1, including the format, being on CD-ROM and all. Part 2 was also a collaboration between Activision and Hudson. I've found Shanghai II to be the pinnacle of Shanghai gaming on the Duo.

* Music is just as great as in part 1, except here you're treated to even more tunes, and they're all redbook.

* Graphics are a step up over part 1; the gameboards play in the Turbo's higher resolution so everything is even clearer & crisper than part 1. More green backgrounds, but you're treated to nice dragon stills between boards.

* You have the option to choose between 6 different tile layouts. Good stuff. Also a choice between 4 different tilesets. The configurability of Shanghai II is seemingly endless, from 4 selectable difficulty levels, to various timed game modes in addition to the standard "story mode."

Shanghai III: Dragon's Eye
The series finale, Shanghai III was a collaboration between Activision and..... "ASK KODANSHA". Don't ask me who the fuck "ASK KODANSHA" is, but there's probably a good reason we haven't heard of them. Shanghai III is a pile of trash compared to part 2, and yes, is even inferior in most ways to part 1. I'm a little puzzled if part 3 is even a part of the same series; it certainly doesn't feel like it.

* Music is alright, probably the only thing III doesn't royally fuck up. Like II, it's a redbook soundtrack of Asian-inspired themes.

* Graphics are downright awful compared to both this game's predecessors. Gone is the high resolution smoothness, and in it's place are chunky, pixelated and extremely low-res-looking tiles. We're talking 8-bit or even pre-8-bit lookin' shit here. It's just astonishing how inferior III looks and feels compared to the first two.

* I didn't spend very long with III before turning it off in disgust, but from what I was able to figure out, there is virtually no configurability. Screenshots indicate a simultaneous multi-player mode which seems wholly superfluous in a game as shitty as this.

* The real kicker is that III is the most expensive of the bunch. I was lucky enough to pick it up on sale from Wolfgames for only $9, but the sad reality is the game isn't worth more than $3, tops. Let me save you all the trouble-- casual Shanghai fans need only spring for part 2 and be done with it. It's clear Hudson did the development on the previous two titles with a license from Activision.

PC-FX owners can find the ultimate Shanghai experience in Shanghai: The Great Wall-- simply the most expansive Shanghai game I've ever played. It makes all three Duo titles look like cell phone games.
nat

Re: Nat's thoughts about the Duo's Shanghai series

Postby runinruder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:07 am

The series finale, Shanghai III was a collaboration between Activision and..... "ASK KODANSHA". Don't ask me who the fuck "ASK KODANSHA" is, but there's probably a good reason we haven't heard of them.

They did Necros, which is actually pretty good. Maybe they should've stuck with RPGs that have wild battle scenes. :)
runinruder

Postby Keranu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:03 am

I wasn't even aware of a Shanghai III, bummer that it sucks. I still really need to get Shanghai II, I'm eager to seeing what it's like. I love the original Shanghai on PCE, mostly because of the crack-like addiction of the music! My only complaint is that the cursor feels a little stiff on a d-pad, though if I recall the game does support the mouse. Man, I might have to get the mouse just to really experience Shanghai!
Keranu

Postby nat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 am

Keranu wrote:I wasn't even aware of a Shanghai III

You're probably better off still pretending it doesn't.

I still really need to get Shanghai II, I'm eager to seeing what it's like.

Shanghai II destroys the other two in every way, although...

I love the original Shanghai on PCE, mostly because of the crack-like addiction of the music!

...I, too, have a peculiar fondness for the music in part 1. Chiptunes at their best, and in 1987, no less.

My only complaint is that the cursor feels a little stiff on a d-pad, though if I recall the game does support the mouse. Man, I might have to get the mouse just to really experience Shanghai!

Haha, I had no idea it supported the mouse. I haven't had any qualms using the D-pad, but if these games do actually support the mouse, I might just nab the next mouse I see cheap.
nat

Postby Keranu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:21 am

Hmm according to this thread on PCEFX, they aren't listed for mouse support :( . He didn't include regular CD-ROM2 games though, so I'm still hoping Shanghai II does.
Keranu

Postby esteban » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:51 am

Awesome thread. I don't have any of the Shanghai games, and I probably wouldn't have considered getting any of them, except.... now that I've read all this wonderful stuff, I totally want to check out Shanghai: Book I & II.

Tangent: are there any Dominoes games out there (on consoles)? I guess "tiles" triggered this tangent.
esteban

Return to Lucifer Alpha