[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - Vanilla Syndrome

Vanilla Syndrome

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

Vanilla Syndrome

Postby runinruder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:38 pm

When I think of Nichibutsu, I think of those F1 Circus games that a few folks adore and most of us despise. Apparently, having mastered the art of crafting polarizing racing games, Nichibutsu decided to try their hand at the very similar genre of anime-girl mahjong. You play a goober who struts around in a pink vest; he's on his way to meet his girlfriend at an amusement park when he opens up a random door and gets sucked into another dimension where strange women want to play mahjong with him. Let's see what we've got here...

^Shops run by bunny girls. You pay with carrots, of course. I never purchased anything.

^I won. "Cherry" seems angry about that.

^These map parts suck. Basically, you can move the cursor around and click on every single spot hoping to set off an event. Or you can make life easy on yourself by using a walkthrough that tells you exactly where to click and use items. This one is good: http://whss.biz/~mrx/game/pce-cd/vanill ... chart.html

That's about all there is to the game. Mahjong is mahjong, and the map parts are painless if you use the guide. VS hopes to hook you with its weird girls; if you're looking forward to the next bizarre encounter, you'll keep playing. Some of the artwork is sub-par and some of the character designs are unimpressive/goofy, but here are some of the finer moments:

^Ah, a rare moment of peace amidst the mahjong wars...
runinruder

Re: Vanilla Syndrome

Postby nat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 am

I'll show that bunny girl a carrot she can play with.

Actually, when I think of Nichibutsu, I always think of Terra Cresta II. Apparently they really took the idea of "expanding their horizons" and ran with it.
nat

Postby esteban » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:56 am

runinruder wrote:Image

^Ah, a rare moment of peace amidst the mahjong wars...

Awesome :)

If only the F1 games incorporated some scantily clad females (and/or males). Maybe I'd be more inclined to play them.

As for Nichibutsu, the one game that I always think about is that one where you climb the building (Crazy Climber?). I love that game!
esteban

Postby Keranu » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:17 am

esteban wrote:If only the F1 games incorporated some scantily clad females (and/or males). Maybe I'd be more inclined to play them.

Like Motoroader ;) .
Keranu

Postby esteban » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Keranu wrote:
esteban wrote:If only the F1 games incorporated some scantily clad females (and/or males). Maybe I'd be more inclined to play them.

Like Motoroader ;) .

Exactly! You read my mind, or, more accurately, I am just too damn predictable at this point. :)
esteban

Postby runinruder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:08 am

And if only they were awesome, like Moto Roader.

I still haven't acquired Terra Cresta II. I do plan to (cheap, card only in all probability), but I must admit that the Nichibutsu factor concerns me.
runinruder

Postby esteban » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:22 am

runinruder wrote:And if only they were awesome, like Moto Roader.

I still haven't acquired Terra Cresta II. I do plan to (cheap, card only in all probability), but I must admit that the Nichibutsu factor concerns me.

Yeah, I wonder when/if/how I'll get Terra Cresta II, myself.
esteban

Postby Black Tiger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:57 am

This game looks much nicer and more risque than I had it pegged for, ever since I picked it up a decade ago. I still never bothered to fire it up. :P
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby esteban » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 am

So, I've been wonderin'... any significance to the title "Vanilla Syndrome" in relation to the game's content, because I have been making up random interpretations of it, myself....
esteban

Postby Keranu » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:07 am

esteban wrote:So, I've been wonderin'... any significance to the title "Vanilla Syndrome" in relation to the game's content, because I have been making up random interpretations of it, myself....

Like 99.21% of Japanese games with broken English titles, probably not.
Keranu

Return to Lucifer Alpha