[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison

PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison

Postby Black Tiger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:57 am

Here's what I've managed to salvage from the old thread so dar...

Cadash

MD <------------------------------------------------------------> PCE

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Darius II

[QUOTE=tomaitheous;180073]

Screen shot attack!
PCE=left. MD=right.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

(Arcade)
(PCE)
(MD)

Shots courtesy awack and BT.[/QUOTE]

Castlevania / Dracula X

Rondo, top SCIV, bottom, the large rock golem boss is a BG tile.
Image[/QUOTE]

Daisenpu

[QUOTE=sheath;354688]Oh I didn't notice that distinction in Schleussinger's vdcdox.txt, but yeah sprite mirroring only for the PCE. That ought to make it challenging to have nice non-repetitive backgrounds without taking up too much ROM space. It might explain why the System Card 1 Altered Beast CD has less background detail than the HuCard version as well.[/QUOTE]

Altered Beast isn't much different, but it does pause mid-stage to load. Daisenpu is a good example of having less detail in the CD2 version-

CD <------------------------------------> Hu Card
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

But tile mirroring or not, there's only so much that can be done with 1/2 a meg of space. ;) Of course there are still many nice stage-by-stage CD2 games like Spriggan, Download 2 and Valis IV.

Fatal Fury 2/Special

Here are some non-distorted comparison pics from screenshots by awack-

ImageImage

ImageImage

Here are awack's full screen shots from his famous [url="http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6609.270#quickreply"]comparison thread[/url] on pcenginefx-

PCE - SFC - MD

Image ImageImage

Image ImageImage

Image ImageImage

Image ImageImage

Image ImageImage

Image ImageImage

PCE - SFC
Image Image

MISC

I think that the sprite limitations that the SNES has are more limiting in practice than they are an advantage in theory. Judging from games that were released, it seems like the SNES can't put up as many sprites or as big overall.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

All but the Bonk pics and Drac XX pic are awack's.

[QUOTE=awack;354392]We also have also have to remember that not all NEC consoles have the same out put, DUORs have a slightly paler look than say a TG16.

This isnt a fair comparison, because im not showing the boss fights, which are the best looking parts in LOX2, but what the hell, its an intersesting comparison.

shadowgate
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=awack]LOXII, Falcom, release date..06/30/95. Seiken Densetsu 3, Square Soft, release date..09/30/95.

Pce boss fights left snes boss fights right
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=awack;354337]pce over head action left snes over head action
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

I starting to think that allot of people dont actually own a duo and the games that are being talked about..[/QUOTE]
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Re: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:38 am

Gosh, those are a lot of screenshot comparisions (it looks like I missed quite some interesting discussions on them :oops:). However, three of them ended up being broken, though, just under the Darius II PC Engine and Mega Drive comparision shots.

When I'm ready, I'll provide some observations on each of the comparisions. For now, I'm quite impressed with the Mega Drive version of Cadash. I do like the darker, more arcade-y tone that it takes, making the game more frightening-looking. The colorful and simple-looking scheme of the PC Engine gives it a cartoon feel, which I'm okay with, also.
"You are Gogan, the Mighty Warrior. Living long ago, in a faraway place, you are strong of body, keen of mind. But you now face an awesome challenge." - From the "Welcome Gogan - Mighty Warrior" section of The Legendary Axe manual.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:12 am

Game Boy Kirby wrote:Gosh, those are a lot of screenshot comparisions (it looks like I missed quite some interesting discussions on them :oops:).

This is probably less than 5% of what was up in the now lost thread. ;)
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby Majestic_Lizard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am

I'd like to post some videos of these, but I don't see how I can imbed youtube videos in these forums...
Majestic_Lizard

Postby Black Tiger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:18 am

Majestic_Lizard wrote:I'd like to post some videos of these, but I don't see how I can imbed youtube videos in these forums...

You can title links to individual videos and specify any particular times in the videos if necessary.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Return to Lucifer Alpha