[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - Games with title screen announcements

Games with title screen announcements

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

Games with title screen announcements

Postby Black Tiger » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Without getting into all the reasons that Tengai Makyou II is so amazing and the intros leading up to and forming the title screen is so epic, in particular I love how Manjimaru shouts "Tengai Makyou, Tsu!" It is especially cool since it's a traditional RPG and not a street fighting game or anything.

What other PC Engine games "say" their title at the title screen? Off the top of my head, all I can think of is Kabuki Itouryoden and I'm pretty sure that both Fatal Furys and World Heroes 2 do.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Re: Games with title screen announcements

Postby rag-time4 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Besides the three SNK fighters you mentioned, the only thing that comes to mind is the US gate of thunder menu screen! Fun question to think about!
rag-time4

Postby esteban » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:24 am

If Joe Redifer were here, you know he would b the first to say, "RAISIN BAR!" which greets you at the beginning of.... Rayaxanber II (or III?). I have the game. But I can't remember which one. My money is on #2.
esteban

Postby runinruder » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Puyo Puyo!

The others that immediately came to mind for me (Rayxanber II, Gate menu) have already been mentioned. NES examples actually came to mind more quickly for me. Didn't Blades of Steel and Double Dribble do this?
runinruder

Postby nat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:37 am

The Rayxanber II title screen sounds like someone walked into a mental hospital in Japan and somehow got a bunch of the patients to yell "Rayxanber" all at approximately the same time.
nat

Postby Black Tiger » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:14 am

nat wrote:The Rayxanber II title screen sounds like someone walked into a mental hospital in Japan and somehow got a bunch of the patients to yell "Rayxanber" all at approximately the same time.

It's always sounded to me like a bunch of guys trying to be the first to answer a question that they don't know the answer to and copying each other as they pretend to begin to say something specific. :P
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby esteban » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Hell yes, Konami had Double Dribble and Blades of Steel announce the titles. It was infectious, too, and we would often find ourselves repeating it. Not unlike the infectious and ubiquitous "Play-Stay-Shun" that concluded PS advertisements.
esteban

Postby Black Tiger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:22 am

esteban wrote:Hell yes, Konami had Double Dribble and Blades of Steel announce the titles. It was infectious, too, and we would often find ourselves repeating it. Not unlike the infectious and ubiquitous "Play-Stay-Shun" that concluded PS advertisements.

Although I played a lot of Double Dribble, "Blades of Steel" and "Turtle Power!" are the voice samples I remember most from NES games.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby runinruder » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:39 am

"Voices" were such a huge deal in the NES days. I remember Bases Loaded being one title in particular where the voice element was really hyped up. Of course, once CD gaming got rolling and games starting featuring actual songs at their title screens and real voice acting, those little announcements and that "BALL!/STRIKE!" stuff wasn't quite as big of a selling point anymore. But that doesn't mean that some examples (like "Blades of Steel!") aren't still very cool. I think the most memorable old-school voice announcement was probably "SE-GA!" For some reason I still remember turning on Rival Turf for the first time and unexpectedly hearing "JALECO!" :D
runinruder

Return to Lucifer Alpha