[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - RPG menus

RPG menus

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

RPG menus

Postby Black Tiger » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Way too many times I've heard people complain about not being able to play Japanese PCE RPGs because they can't figure out the menus and that walkthroughs are useless to them because of it. I've always had the opposite experience. If I'd never played an RPG before, then it might be challenging for me to navigate menus written in "moon language". But for most games, the only things that take me more than a moment to figure out are unique systems and features.

So I've decided to attempt to capture screen shots from every menu driven PCE RPG and make easy to use visual reference guides. I'm guessing that there are 40 - 50 games that would need menu translations.

If I manage to pull this off, I might attempt to do main command translations of digital comic adventure games.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Re: RPG menus

Postby nat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:34 am

I'd contend that anyone who can't figure out JRPG menus probably shouldn't be playing games to begin with.
nat

Postby runinruder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:30 am

The Gay Gamer has mentioned a number of times that he'd love to play through Manji Maru but he's having a hard time with the menus. I bet he'd be very grateful if you went ahead with this project.
runinruder

Postby esteban » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Black_Tigre: I think it is a worthwhile project, because there are so many folks who are intimidated/clueless/lazy when it comes to "the unfamiliar". Honestly, if there is one thing in the universe that holds eternally true, nearly everyone feels better when his/her frustration is minimized.

Most of us here are willing to endure higher levels of frustration for certain pursuits (especially things we are obsessed with). However, there are times when even I (an admitted masochist) would like to use a reference guide instead of relying on brute trial-and-error.

Any resource that enables a greater number of folks to enjoy PCE games is a good thing, as far as I am concerned.

;)
esteban

Postby Black Tiger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:26 am

I believe that Ninja Spirit was initially intimidated by Kabukiden, because of the menus, even after he had begun making real progress through the game. He went on to nearly finish it before losing his save files.

I was trying decide whether to make pics with English pointing to Japanese commands or an untranslated pic next to one fully in English. I finally decided to just do both and let people use whichever works best for them. :)
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby nat » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:10 am

Black Tiger wrote: He went on to nearly finish it before losing his save files.

Not to go off on an tangent, but man, losing save files is a huge deal with these RPGs. I got what had to be at least 50% or so through Blood Gear on the Duo when I lost my save files and let me tell you, there's nothing quite as disheartening as watching all those hours go down the tube.

The same thing happened when I started in with FF5 (or was it 6?) on the Playstation, although I wasn't quite as far along as I was with Blood Gear. I still haven't gone back to try again with either game.
nat

Postby runinruder » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:48 am

Funny that you mention Kabuki Den and save file losses...

I've generally had pretty good luck with save files, at least to the extent that I can remember. But when I was getting screens for my Kabuki Den review and I was nearing the end of the game, an unexpected "crash" caused me to lose over three hours of progress. Normally, since I'd already captured plenty of screens by that point, I'd just go ahead with what I already had, but since the last stretch of Kabuki Den is so ridiculously cool and a pretty significant part of my review, I really wanted to get some screens from it, so I had to replay those three-or-so hours (a good chunk of which was spent grinding... argh!).
runinruder

Return to Lucifer Alpha