[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - The most intelligent Turbo characters

The most intelligent Turbo characters

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

The most intelligent Turbo characters

Postby runinruder » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 am

This is a pretty silly topic, but whatever.

For some strange reason I got to thinking about who some of the most intelligent characters in Turbo games are, and one character in particular came to mind. The funny thing is, I then posed the question to Nat, and after thinking about it for a moment, he cited the exact same character that I'd thought of. This is no famous character by the way--not even a playable one.

Now I'm curious what will come to mind for other people. Unlikely as it may be, I want to see if anyone else will think of the same one that Nat and I came up with, so I won't name that one yet. Another I thought of since then though is the Gulliver Boy nerd kid.

(I'm talking more "book smart" than "street smart" here, btw.)
runinruder

Re: The most intelligent Turbo characters

Postby Black Tiger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Zeami
Elijah Modnar
Dark Fact
Shiro
Natas
Gruda
Carmen Sandiego
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby nat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 am

Haha, this is an awesome thread. Something I read or saw in the past few days actually reminded me of that conversation and that moment in particular, I can't recall now what it was.

I'm still hard pressed to come up with anyone else, however.
nat

Postby runinruder » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:58 am

I like Zeami as a choice. I'd forgotten that part where he forges a special sword. That took some brains, haha.
runinruder

Postby guts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Dark Fact from Ys I. Guy somehow tricked the entire population of an island out of their silver, ingeniously made his way through Darm tower without the ring of evil, and would have succeeded if Adol hadn't had the stroke of fortune to make friends with a guy who could Kool-Aid Man his way through brick walls.
guts

Postby runinruder » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:07 pm

You make a really good case for Dark Fact. He was a damn good speech writer, too.
runinruder

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Zeami, Dark Fact and Elijah Modnar were the first ones that came to mind as characters that I had the impression of being intelligent.

Zeami speaks at least one extra language fluently enough and is so familiar with its culture, that he convinces natives that he is one of them. It's possible that he's simply relying on the universal translator spell he cast for Kabuki once they reached London, but that would still be a result of his mastery of mystic powers. He took on a leadership role and no matter what they came up against, he always exuded confidence over both his knowledge and ability to figure things out.

After the first three characters popped into my head, I thought about how the standard for intelligence should quantified by the world the characters exist within. No matter how clueless too many video game heroes may be, when a character manages to trick the fully developed characters in a game, or even the entire population of a land, then they by default more intelligent than the average person.

Natas was clever enough to convince everyone that he really was the king of Odessia. He was so bold as to allow his right hand man's humanoid form to walk around under the monicker of Judas. He wasn't foolish enough to present himself as the exact opposite of the king, unlike the water fiend of FFIV, who acted exactly like the maniacal villain he actually is. He could have kicked it for as long as he pleased as the supreme ruler of the land, but instead took things a step further and managed to trick the band of legendary heroes into taking all the risks involved in obtaining the ultimate power in their world and hand delivering it to him. Only once he had the power of the Ora Stone and was more or less invincible, did he dare to reveal himself, unlike too many villains who are constantly nagging the hero and telling them exactly where and how to defeat them.

I can't comment any more at the moment, but Gruda played everyone against each other and managed to get his deity resurrected, even though he and his cohorts weren't able to make it happen all on their own.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby runinruder » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:09 am

Now that's what I call analysis.

As I recall, the Private eye dol girl was pretty smart. :D
runinruder

Postby Lucifer Sadler » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:07 am

Akiyama-jin
Lucifer Sadler

Return to Lucifer Alpha