[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - Anything is possible game changing moments

Anything is possible game changing moments

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

Anything is possible game changing moments

Postby Black Tiger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:52 pm

There are events in many games, that destroyed my expectations of what could happen and afterward there was no limit to what I believed could happen within that same game. Sometimes it's limited to graphics, gameplay, story, etc and sometimes it is just in general. What are some PC Engine game moments that threw out all the rules for you?

Here are some of mine:

Kabukiden, like TM/FEOE The Apocalypse IV, is a continuous "anything could happen" game. Standout moments include the Mount Arashi(?) amusement park. Coming upon something like that, while still in Jipang, really did open up my belief about what could come up in the game.

When you unlock passage to the Tower if London, you just experienced some very cool sequences, but then the overworld map view zooms out like FFII/IV and the landscape actually shifts around in real time. Kabukiden already did most of what FFIV did with it's presentation style, only taking it a step further. When the game did this, it reminded me of when you approach the castle with the spoony Bard inside and the camera pulls back just before the Baron Red Wings bomb it. Topping it off with some pre-loaded cinema shots and the orchestral bgm, once again took it to a whole new level.

After finally arriving in London, I really was shocked when everyone spoke english and all the text was english as well. It carried on just long enough that it looked possible that the rest of the game could be mostly english.

The opening cinema of Ys IV broadened my expectations, but I still didn't get my hopes too high up for a return to Esteria. The beginning sequence in Minea carried on long enough that it seemed as though it could be more than a tease, after all, an EGM preview shot sure looked like the remains of Goban's cabin. When the game actually returns you to Minea, I tried not to expect too much, telling myself how the mine, shrine, tower, etc would all be blocked off. As it continued to unfold and essentially the entire original Ys play area (except a couple floors) was included as part of the game, topped off with a Dark Fact battle... I believed that anything was possible. The later Darm fight and Ys I cinema giant black pearl followed through on those expectations.

Another expectation-changing scene in Ys IV is when you first float down that river in beast form and get tossed over the waterfall, with the background turning 3D as you go over. Totally superfluous, but appreciated and made me think once again, "If they did something like that, what other crazy effects might be in the game?"
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Re: Anything is possible game changing moments

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Cleaned up my original post and added some Ys IV moments. :)
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Return to Lucifer Alpha