[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - KLAX

KLAX

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

KLAX

Postby nat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:57 am

I got this game recently as a gift over the Christmas holiday. I've never been a big fan of KLAX, but it was a necessary acquisition in my seemingly neverending quest to acquire all the TG-16 US releases.

The TG-16 port is actually a really, really good facsimile of the arcade original. As far as TG-16 arcade ports go, KLAX is up there with the best of 'em. "Great," you're probably thinking, "KLAX must be a home run." Well, KLAX's arcade-perfect blessing is also it's biggest pitfall.

See, the trouble is that KLAX is a lousy fucking game to begin with. Keep in mind I'm probably the biggest puzzle game whore on the face of the Earth. KLAX is inane, it's slow, and it's boring. The most excitement in KLAX comes when you meet certain criteria that allows you to "warp" ahead a certain number of stages. That excitement is short-lived however, as soon as you actually reach the stage you're warping to and the doldrums of the gameplay set in once again. Audio in KLAX consists of "clicks", "clacks", "beeps" and "bloops." There is actually a "sound test" option available from the option menu where I actually was able to "test" all four sound effects and a couple poorly-digitized speech effects. This would be all well and good, except the game actually lacks any sort of in-game music. It doesn't take long before the clicking and clacking gets reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly fucking old.

The silver lining, if you can call it that, is that the game "options" screen really lives up to it's name. Just about every aspect of gameplay is adjustable, from the screen resolution right down to how random the colors of tiles you are given are. Unfortunately, there is no switchable option available in the options menu to toggle ass suckage, so despite the configurability factor, KLAX still remains a first-class KLUNKER.

I was a little excited about picking up the TG-16 version of KLAX, since I've seen many-a-gamer rave about it. Let me just say that unless you already know yourself to be a big fan of KLAX (in which case I'll say you ought to expand your horizons), you're better off spending your money on Puyo Puyo or Implode. You'll have a shitload more fun and get a fancy soundtrack to listen to while you play (imagine that!). Fuck, even Hatris has in-game music.

I'm pretty disappointed that this was the domestic effort we got from Tengen, though they did a fine job with what they had to work with. I would, however, have been much more excited to see the rumored port of Marble Madness come to fruition than this pile of crap. I'm a major Marble Madness fan, and I bet a Turbo port would've been just awesome.

And for those of you who are wondering (and I know you are), while I *did* receive this game as a gift for Christmas, and while I did *not* really enjoy it on any level, I didn't express *any* disdain over having received it as a gift.
User avatar
nat
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:12 am

Re: KLAX

Postby runinruder » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:16 am

Man, just reading your post makes me feel disdain for that crapper. I've never played any version of Klax. No matter how many times the Turbo/PCE one had popped up for three bucks, I always found something more enticing to spend my pocket change on. I didn't think it would be quite so horrible though. No in-game music is absurd, especially considering that the soundtracks for games like Puyo, Columns, and Tetris add so much to the experiences those games offer.

Screw Tengen. If that's the kind of crap we were gonna get from them, I'm glad they scurried away after one release. I would've much preferred a four-player Turbo-upgrade of their NES Gauntlet.
runinruder
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: KLAX

Postby nectarsis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:23 am

Hmmmmmmmm a game that you didn't get much (if any) fun out of..yet a complete lack of disdain over receiving this steaming pile as a gift. Words to live by I say.
User avatar
nectarsis
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:34 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: KLAX

Postby nat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:28 am

I'm actually quite thankful I received this shitheap as a gift so I didn't have to spend my own hard-earned cash on it.
User avatar
nat
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:12 am

Re: KLAX

Postby nectarsis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 am

See even crappy games serve a purpose ;)
User avatar
nectarsis
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:34 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: KLAX

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:36 am

You piqued my interest Nat, so I played around with Klax in Magic Engine. I own the Turbochip version, but didn't feel like firing up my Duo without checking it out first. It's actually pretty cool for what it is, but as you said it's not very good as an actual game. I liked the sfx other than the voice. I especially like the 'sampled' harp strum sounding effect and was shocked to find that it was actually PSG. There are actually quite a few cool PSG sfx, yet they never bothered to give the game any music. :roll:

The options really are neat and it's always cool when you can change a PCE game's resolution.

I have a question for tommy_pce, if he finds this post: Is the Klax logo hand/K a real-time warping/polygonal effect?
User avatar
Black Tiger
Site Admin
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: KLAX

Postby nat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:45 am

Black Tiger wrote: I especially like the 'sampled' harp strum sounding effect and was shocked to find that it was actually PSG.


By far the best sound effect in the game.

The options really are neat and it's always cool when you can change a PCE game's resolution.


Indeed. Unfortunately, it doesn't bode well when the most fun to be had with a title is playing around in the "options" menu. :)
User avatar
nat
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:12 am

Re: KLAX

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:35 am

nat wrote:I got this game recently as a gift over the Christmas holiday. I've never been a big fan of KLAX, but it was a necessary acquisition in my seemingly neverending quest to acquire all the TG-16 US releases.

The TG-16 port is actually a really, really good facsimile of the arcade original. As far as TG-16 arcade ports go, KLAX is up there with the best of 'em. "Great," you're probably thinking, "KLAX must be a home run." Well, KLAX's arcade-perfect blessing is also it's biggest pitfall.

See, the trouble is that KLAX is a lousy fucking game to begin with. Keep in mind I'm probably the biggest puzzle game whore on the face of the Earth. KLAX is inane, it's slow, and it's boring. The most excitement in KLAX comes when you meet certain criteria that allows you to "warp" ahead a certain number of stages. That excitement is short-lived however, as soon as you actually reach the stage you're warping to and the doldrums of the gameplay set in once again. Audio in KLAX consists of "clicks", "clacks", "beeps" and "bloops." There is actually a "sound test" option available from the option menu where I actually was able to "test" all four sound effects and a couple poorly-digitized speech effects. This would be all well and good, except the game actually lacks any sort of in-game music. It doesn't take long before the clicking and clacking gets reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly fucking old.

The silver lining, if you can call it that, is that the game "options" screen really lives up to it's name. Just about every aspect of gameplay is adjustable, from the screen resolution right down to how random the colors of tiles you are given are. Unfortunately, there is no switchable option available in the options menu to toggle ass suckage, so despite the configurability factor, KLAX still remains a first-class KLUNKER.

I was a little excited about picking up the TG-16 version of KLAX, since I've seen many-a-gamer rave about it. Let me just say that unless you already know yourself to be a big fan of KLAX (in which case I'll say you ought to expand your horizons), you're better off spending your money on Puyo Puyo or Implode. You'll have a shitload more fun and get a fancy soundtrack to listen to while you play (imagine that!). Fuck, even Hatris has in-game music.

I'm pretty disappointed that this was the domestic effort we got from Tengen, though they did a fine job with what they had to work with. I would, however, have been much more excited to see the rumored port of Marble Madness come to fruition than this pile of crap. I'm a major Marble Madness fan, and I bet a Turbo port would've been just awesome.

And for those of you who are wondering (and I know you are), while I *did* receive this game as a gift for Christmas, and while I did *not* really enjoy it on any level, I didn't express *any* disdain over having received it as a gift.


nectarsis wrote:Hmmmmmmmm a game that you didn't get much (if any) fun out of..yet a complete lack of disdain over receiving this steaming pile as a gift. Words to live by I say.


nat wrote:I'm actually quite thankful I received this shitheap as a gift so I didn't have to spend my own hard-earned cash on it.


nectarsis wrote:See even crappy games serve a purpose ;)


Seriously, I know what you two are getting onto. That joke is as old as a rotten apple now as I've gotten over those initial feelings I had for it a while ago. Firstly, you desire to collect all of the US titles, plus you've also heard about some positive raves over the TurboGrafx-16 version before getting it, so this potentially would lessen the effect of feeling icky about it. I, however, only want to collect a number of the games that I've deemed to be worthy of me to check out, so for those that aren't determined to be so, and are known to be heavily criticized, I feel I have to be careful about getting such titles (it's not the fact that I didn't want Battle Royale and got it that is the biggest factor of the disatisfaction, as I'm okay with recieving surprises, it's the amount of criticism I've seen it gets that made me wary the most about having it, but my feelings were more neutral about the game itself in the first place). Getting a game for free doesn't really mean anything for its quality or sake of enjoyment, as some of the best and worst gifts can be recieved for that price. Even if I did spend some money on a game, it's not the biggest deal in the world as more money can always be made (the purchases can be managed to occasional events to avoid too much spending in a period of time). Questioning and dislikenment can arise when someone recieves a gift that they didn't want and/or don't like something about it, and it's a natural reaction to such presents. Like I've said a few times before, I do appreciate that SuperPCEngineGrafx was able to send me a Chirstmas gift over the holiday, and I like the Bonk/TurboGrafx-16 wrapping paper that was used to cover the game (I wonder where he got it, but I have a feeling that it can either be custom-made or from a TurboGrafx-16-featuring magazine). I look forward to playing Battle Royale now, but I definitely wanted to check out its five player wrestle gameplay before deciding whether it would be good enough to get or not (I seem to remember mention of it having good voice samples and use of the console's six-channel sound).

I thought that KLAX's manual art was interesting, as it seems to have a colorful flair to it especially around and for the hand. It's too bad to hear that the game isn't too good particularly after a long while, and there isn't much to offer in terms of sound. It's intriguing to hear that the graphical resolution can be changed with the options menu, and that it was able to he highly "arcade-perfect" (it would be nice if more ports of titles attempted to be accurate to their arcade originals, even enhancing them in some respect like the home versions of the Tekken series and Street Fighter had).
"You are Gogan, the Mighty Warrior. Living long ago, in a faraway place, you are strong of body, keen of mind. But you now face an awesome challenge." - From the "Welcome Gogan - Mighty Warrior" section of The Legendary Axe manual.
User avatar
Game Boy Kirby
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:56 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: KLAX

Postby tommy_pce » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 am

Black Tiger wrote:I have a question for tommy_pce, if he finds this post: Is the Klax logo hand/K a real-time warping/polygonal effect?


Pop'd it into the debugger. It's loads the sprites (stored as 2bit sprites) from the rom, into vram and animates. No real time stuff.

Side note: That was weird. I submitted a reply previously, but it didn't show up. Heh..
tommy_pce
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: KLAX

Postby guts » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 am

I always liked Klax personally, no idea why. I've tried every puzzle game out there and I absolutely hate the genre with a few exceptions like Mr Driller, Tetris Attack, Puzzle Bobble & Klax.
guts
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 am

Next

Return to Lucifer Alpha

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron