[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - KLAX

KLAX

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

Re: KLAX

Postby nat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:42 am

Right on, Puzzle Bobble fucking rules. As a matter of fact, I concur with all those titles as being super-awesome.... except for KLAX.
nat

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:56 am

guts wrote:I always liked Klax personally, no idea why. I've tried every puzzle game out there and I absolutely hate the genre with a few exceptions like Mr Driller, Tetris Attack, Puzzle Bobble & Klax.

I'm the same way with puzzle games, too. A few of the titles of this genre that I've enjoyed are Tetris Plus (the PlayStation version; it's also available for the Sega Saturn), Gunpey DS, and Rubik's World (the Wii version; this game is also for the DS, which I haven't played, and from what I've seen the puzzle games between the two are different).
"You are Gogan, the Mighty Warrior. Living long ago, in a faraway place, you are strong of body, keen of mind. But you now face an awesome challenge." - From the "Welcome Gogan - Mighty Warrior" section of The Legendary Axe manual.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby Keranu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:22 am

KLAX is awesome because of the opening itself.

"IT'S THE NINETIES AND THERE'S TIME FOR

KLAX"

And yeah, I always liked the sound effects too, BT.
Keranu

Postby esteban » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 am

I actually liked the "ambient sounds" that were in Klax. Sure, I wish there was an option to enable/disable a wonderful soundtrack, but the ambient noise/sound effects in Klax make a distinctive soundscape. Hey, I'm crazy.

Oh yeah, nat, weren't you the one who was dissin' Blodia/Timeball? Damn! :)

Even though I never really played Klax too much back in the day, it never seemed as bad as nat & company are making it out to be.

So, now I'm actually motivated to pull this game out and play it.

guts wrote:I always liked Klax personally, no idea why. I've tried every puzzle game out there and I absolutely hate the genre with a few exceptions like Mr Driller, Tetris Attack, Puzzle Bobble & Klax.

Word up, guts!

I will not make a final verdict until I spend some time with Klax.

EDIT: OK, I was going to wait until later before posting this, but, considering the timeliness of this thread, I just couldn't resist...
Klax Review 1 (RASTER Magazine)
Klax Review 2
Klax Review 3

Nat, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get yourself Klax for Genesis. Immediately. Then you can tell us if the following TG-16 vs. Genesis battle is written competently:
TG-16 vs. Sega Genesis KLAX !!!! (pt 1)
TG-16 vs. Sega (pt 2)

----------
Ha! Maybe this will motivate me. These scans were for an update 3-4 months ago. Needless to say, I didn't finish it. RASTER is, as far as I can tell, a pretty obscure/undocumented fanzine. I don't know if they printed anything beyond the first issue. More to come...
esteban

Postby nat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:58 am

esteban wrote:I actually liked the "ambient sounds" that were in Klax. Sure, I wish there was an option to enable/disable a wonderful soundtrack, but the ambient noise/sound effects in Klax make a distinctive soundscape. Hey, I'm crazy.

Actually, no, I'm one of the few fellow defenders of Blodia. I'd take owning one game (Blodia) over three (KLAX, Hatris, and Titan) any fuckin' day.

Even though I never really played Klax too much back in the day, it never seemed as bad as nat & company are making it out to be.

I'm probably making it sound like more of a colossal failure than it is, but the way I see it-- me, the ultimate lover of puzzley-type games, not liking KLAX has got to say something about it.

Nat, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get yourself Klax for Genesis. Immediately. Then you can tell us if the following TG-16 vs. Genesis battle is written competently:
TG-16 vs. Sega (pt 2)

I'll see if I can find a copy of KLAX for Genesis on the cheap (or on the VC).

EDIT-- What the hell is up with "Game Guru's" explanation in that article of where to find the second warp whistle in SMB3? Are you telling me someone calling themself the "Game Guru" doesn't know where the second fucking warp whistle is in Mario 3?
nat

Postby esteban » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:12 am

nat -- please accept my apologies! I remember you talking about playing Timeball near the beach on a TE... or something like that!

It was some other *bastard* (j/k) who was dissin' Blodia. Oh, wait, everyone disses Blodia.

And, the finer points of your review were not lost on me. Being a puzzle fan, you are in a very good position to declare KLAX as lackluster. My fear is that I'm still in the "novelty" or "honeymoon" phase of KLAX, and that once I spend a significant amount of time with it, well, their won't be any satisfying puzzle-action to be found anywhere.

Then again, I might love it.
esteban

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:01 am

esteban wrote:I actually liked the "ambient sounds" that were in Klax. Sure, I wish there was an option to enable/disable a wonderful soundtrack, but the ambient noise/sound effects in Klax make a distinctive soundscape. Hey, I'm crazy.

Word up, guts!

EDIT: OK, I was going to wait until later before posting this, but, considering the timeliness of this thread, I just couldn't resist...
Klax Review 1 (RASTER Magazine)
Klax Review 2
Klax Review 3

TG-16 vs. Sega (pt 2)

----------
Ha! Maybe this will motivate me. These scans were for an update 3-4 months ago. Needless to say, I didn't finish it. RASTER is, as far as I can tell, a pretty obscure/undocumented fanzine. I don't know if they printed anything beyond the first issue. More to come...

I'm very fond of Timeball and wish to get it for my TurboGrafx-16. Ever since I've watched Sunteam_Paul's gameplay video on Blodia, I though that it had incredible music, and it doesn't seem to be a puzzle game that doesn't heavily rely on brain power, as quick reflexes are needed to shift the slots to the proper positions (though it possibly could, those are the types of puzzle games that I like the most).

So the Sega Genesis also had a port of KLAX. I see that version has what is considered to be "bad" music :P; I wonder exactly how bad it could be?
"You are Gogan, the Mighty Warrior. Living long ago, in a faraway place, you are strong of body, keen of mind. But you now face an awesome challenge." - From the "Welcome Gogan - Mighty Warrior" section of The Legendary Axe manual.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby Keranu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 pm

I don't know why everyone craps on Hatris. Granted it's not a game I play much at all, but it always came by as a very mediocre puzzle game to me, nothing insulting.

I'm also embarassed to admit that I've had quite a few mindless fun sessions with Titan before.

Any other Chip's Challenge fans here? Spent hours playing that game as a kid and still do from time-to-time.
Keranu

Postby esteban » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:13 pm

Keranu wrote:I don't know why everyone craps on Hatris. Granted it's not a game I play much at all, but it always came by as a very mediocre puzzle game to me, nothing insulting.

I'm also embarassed to admit that I've had quite a few mindless fun sessions with Titan before.

Any other Chip's Challenge fans here? Spent hours playing that game as a kid and still do from time-to-time.

Hatris is just an easy target, because it is a lame attempt to cash-in on the Tetris brand, but lacks all of the depth and intricacies of Tetris.

Plus, it's the name. I mean, come on, it's called Hatris. It's so absurd, and goofy, that it actually is marvelous.

I mean, "Hatris" is a sublime hunk of cheese.

You are not alone, Keranu.

NOTICE: I will gladly accept, and play, Hatris if anyone is willing to send it to me. Thank you.
esteban

Postby nat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:16 pm

As much as I shit on Hatris at every given chance, I play it from time to time on my GT. What makes it even more cheesier than what you might think at first is that it's a lame attempt to cash in on the Tetris brand-- by the VERY SAME GUY WHO WROTE TETRIS.
nat

PreviousNext

Return to Lucifer Alpha