[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - KLAX

KLAX

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

Re: KLAX

Postby esteban » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:04 pm

nat wrote:As much as I shit on Hatris at every given chance, I play it from time to time on my GT. What makes it even more cheesier than what you might think at first is that it's a lame attempt to cash in on the Tetris brand-- by the VERY SAME GUY WHO WROTE TETRIS.

Hats! Brilliant!

From the original package:
Hatris wrote:Welcome to the frenetic headcovering-puzzle world of Hatris (TM)! In Soviet Russia, hats wear you...

... oh dear lord. Shoot me.
esteban

Postby Keranu » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:07 am

esteban wrote:
Keranu wrote:I don't know why everyone craps on Hatris. Granted it's not a game I play much at all, but it always came by as a very mediocre puzzle game to me, nothing insulting.

I'm also embarassed to admit that I've had quite a few mindless fun sessions with Titan before.

Any other Chip's Challenge fans here? Spent hours playing that game as a kid and still do from time-to-time.

Hatris is just an easy target, because it is a lame attempt to cash-in on the Tetris brand, but lacks all of the depth and intricacies of Tetris.

Plus, it's the name. I mean, come on, it's called Hatris. It's so absurd, and goofy, that it actually is marvelous.

I mean, "Hatris" is a sublime hunk of cheese.

You are not alone, Keranu.

NOTICE: I will gladly accept, and play, Hatris if anyone is willing to send it to me. Thank you.

The title name is one of the biggest things about the game that makes it attractive to me :D . Plus I'm not gonna lie, I think stacking hats on human heads is a awesome concept for a puzzle game! It's just not a very... exciting game as you put it. Like nat though, it would be one of those games I'd love to play on my Express on a car ride or something.

nat wrote:What makes it even more cheesier than what you might think at first is that it's a lame attempt to cash in on the Tetris brand-- by the VERY SAME GUY WHO WROTE TETRIS.

Hahaha, I had no idea of this! Hilarious!
Keranu

Postby Black Tiger » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:22 am

Keranu wrote:
nat wrote:What makes it even more cheesier than what you might think at first is that it's a lame attempt to cash in on the Tetris brand-- by the VERY SAME GUY WHO WROTE TETRIS.

Hahaha, I had no idea of this! Hilarious!

Unfortunately, by the time he escaped Soviet Russia, everyone but him had gotten rich off of Tetris and he just tried to do what he could to actually profit from his own work.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:34 am

Klax comparison pics-

The NES version actually has 2 player gameplay. I forget if the SMS version does, but there's still no excuse for the Turbo version not to.

The flipping K/hand logo is prerendered in the arcade as well, only with some ugly dithered colors. The arcade sounds like it uses samples for all the sfx, but the chimes still sounds extremely similar to those done with PSG in the Turbo port.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby nat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:31 am

Holy shit, am I the only one that thinks the SMS version looks better than the Genesis version?

The NES version looks hilariously bad. The more time that goes by, the more I simply hate the NES color palette. It wasn't such a problem in games like Super Mario Bros., but most other NES games really overuse those 39 shades of pink the NES is capable of displaying. I'd love to meet the marketing genius at Nintendo who decided it was a great idea to make 39 of the NES's 64 available colors a different shade of pink:

nat

Postby esteban » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:24 am

nat: I hear ya about pink on the NES, but, truth be told, I love pink, so what can I do? The only thing better than pink is SPARKLY pink.

b_T: wow, SMS and NES version of KLAX. The only thing missing is.... the Lynx and (most likely) Gameboy versions! :)

I am housesitting, otherwise I would be reporting on how KLAX is rockin' my world.
esteban

Postby Keranu » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:13 am

esteban wrote:nat: I hear ya about pink on the NES, but, truth be told, I love pink, so what can I do? The only thing better than pink is SPARKLY pink.

Agreed, the pink is what makes the NES so 80's! I never even knew this before actually, that's pretty intereting. Still though, I kinda dig it.
Keranu

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:30 am

Black Tiger wrote:Klax comparison pics-

The NES version actually has 2 player gameplay. I forget if the SMS version does, but there's still no excuse for the Turbo version not to.

The flipping K/hand logo is prerendered in the arcade as well, only with some ugly dithered colors. The arcade sounds like it uses samples for all the sfx, but the chimes still sounds extremely similar to those done with PSG in the Turbo port.

nat wrote:Holy shit, am I the only one that thinks the SMS version looks better than the Genesis version?

The NES version looks hilariously bad. The more time that goes by, the more I simply hate the NES color palette. It wasn't such a problem in games like Super Mario Bros., but most other NES games really overuse those 39 shades of pink the NES is capable of displaying. I'd love to meet the marketing genius at Nintendo who decided it was a great idea to make 39 of the NES's 64 available colors a different shade of pink:

Nice comparision, Black Tiger. I like the looks of the Sega Genesis and Sega Master System versions a lot, as they are meant to replicate parking lots (is this design also in the other versions). I like the persudo-3D effect of the levels/KLAXES as well in the arcade and TurboGrafx-16 versions. The NES's level design looks the coolest for its space-theme and the platform itself looks like a rocket ship (is this design also available in the other versions)!

The Sega Master System version does look brighter overall in that screenshot, but the Sega Genesis's platform looks slightly cooler for its red color scheme, so I agree with you in some senses. I don't mind the NES's colors at all, as some of the shades look really nifty (especially "NES Lime Green"...OOOHH, that's such a cool color). Those pink (and purple, present in some of the screenshots) are only present in PARTS of the game, and would'nt frequently cover all of the graphics in the entire game. I keep hearing different numbers for the NES's total color pallete; one has stated it to be 52, another 63, and also one saying 64 (I need more evidence to determine the total colors of the NES's color shades).
"You are Gogan, the Mighty Warrior. Living long ago, in a faraway place, you are strong of body, keen of mind. But you now face an awesome challenge." - From the "Welcome Gogan - Mighty Warrior" section of The Legendary Axe manual.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby tommy_pce » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... lettes#NES

It has 64 entries, but only 56 contain unique values. IIRC, color 0x0D is illegal because some TV's will think it's SYNC and the screen goes screwy (that's a technical term ;) ). So there goes one, and the other slightly-less-than-white white is unnoticeable so there goes another one.
tommy_pce

Postby nat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:49 am

Yeah, I was pretty much winging it with the numbers I threw out there in that last message, but you get the point.
nat

PreviousNext

Return to Lucifer Alpha