[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - Makai Hakkenden Shada

Makai Hakkenden Shada

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 discussion

Makai Hakkenden Shada

Postby runinruder » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks to Tom for hooking me up with a copy of this game.

Shada is an unabashed Ys rip-off, and it was going to have to be a heck of a lot of fun to impress me, since I've already experienced not only the magnificent Falcom bump-and-run titles, but also a very successful Ys clone in Xak I & II. Well, this little HuCard managed to come through. The chip music is absolutely fantastic, and some of the bosses are extremely cool, including one large creature whose tough exterior repels your attacks and forces you to actually run inside his mouth and kill him from within (kinda reminiscent of the whale fight in New Zealand Story).

The crash-into-your-foes gameplay feels a bit different from Ys in that there's no "bouncing" upon collision; instead, your enemies basically run right through you, taking or dealing damage (or simply dying). It feels slightly weird at first, but it's quite easy to get used to. There are usually a good number of enemies to deal with at any given time, not as many as you'd encounter in a Xanadu foe flock, but enough to rival the roving Ys gangs, so there's a fair amount of brawling to keep you occupied as you scour the countryside and its labyrinths, and the gameplay is nice and fast.

The quest can be completed incredibly quickly; I played through the whole adventure yesterday, and it's not like it required a huge chunk of time to do so. But that's no big deal considering it's a cheap chip game, and a fun one at that. There's XP grinding to do, just as you'd expect in an Ys-type game, but it doesn't take very long to advance in levels and never gets particularly tedious or dull.

It's not a difficult game. You can really set yourself up for success by hanging around the first town, saving up a lot of cash so that you can buy the best equipment in the next town. Most of the game's secrets aren't very difficult to uncover with or without a walkthrough, especially since some of the conundrums were lifted right from Ys, but they're still just obscure enough to make the discoveries enjoyable. But here's a link to a good Japanese guide if anyone needs it:

http://www.saturn.dti.ne.jp/~dastard/pce/shad-flo.htm

One thing to note about the walkthrough is that if you run it through babelfish, there's one part that instructs you to search the northwest spring in a town, when it's actually the northeast spring that contains the secret. Otherwise, the guide should serve just fine. There's a slightly tricky "door maze" sequence that it doesn't go into detail about, but it's not that hard to figure out and random bumbling could probably lead you through it eventually anyway.

Here are some screens from late in the game:

^The dude I mentioned before whose mouth you have to charge into (when he's not exhaling flames, of course).

^The menu is really easy to figure out, and there's only a limited amount of equipment to mess with since the game is so short.

^The centipede thing moves really quickly.

^Stumbling around the final castle area. The non-boss enemy graphics are quite crude, but the environments like this one don't look too bad if you ask me.

^Reminiscent of Ys with the graphic style and the mirrors. You have to equip a certain item to see that "special" mirror, a puzzle also reminiscent of Ys.

^Get here and you're very close to the end. ^_^
runinruder

Re: Makai Hakkenden Shada

Postby tommy_pce » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Wow! That was fast :D I knew the game was tiny (2meg game), but haha I wasn't expecting you to blaze through it so fast.
tommy_pce

Postby runinruder » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Yeah, I was surprised that it was THAT short, but I ended up thankful for it, actually. A quick, fast-paced adventure was exactly what I needed after PS2.
runinruder

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:01 am

Thanks for including those screenshots with your run-down. :D 'Shada was one of my very first PCE HuCards and I picked it up locally after moving to the big city. I tried it out back then and it did seem very Ys'ish, but I was also reminded of NES Hydlide by the choppy movement.

Now I'm very excited to play the game and the graphics look very nice. That toad boss reminds me of the final boss in Super Hydlide who's mouth you had to jump into to kill.

The PC Engine sure did well for adventure/RPG-type HuCard games. Especially considering how tiny they all are. :)
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby runinruder » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 am

Black Tiger wrote:That toad boss reminds me of the final boss in Super Hydlide who's mouth you had to jump into to kill.

Now I must ask if Super Hydlide is actually worth a try. I was oddly fond of Hydlide when I was a kid, but I was always aware that it was a horribly designed product, and I never felt the need to go out of my way to play Super.

Black Tiger wrote:The PC Engine sure did well for adventure/RPG-type HuCard games. Especially considering how tiny they all are. :)

Yep, and it's nice for all of us that they're so cheap and easy to come by these days.
runinruder

Postby Black Tiger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 am

Super Hydlide from what I remember is not a good game, but I believe that it's worth playing at least once for adventure fans. I mail ordered it back in the day and the coolest part was the cover art. :P
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby runinruder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Black Tiger wrote: I mail ordered it back in the day and the coolest part was the cover art. :P

Ha, that was the coolest part of NES Hydlide for me (insofar as anything about Hydlide can be called "cool"). I think what put me off about Super Hydlide is that it always looked and seemed so drab, especially compared to the bright and upbeat original. I almost always prefer dark stuff to "sunny" stuff, but it just doesn't seem suitable for something as goofy as Hydlide.
runinruder

Postby Keranu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:25 am

Thanks for posting the screens! I've only briefly played this game on emulators before, but those screens look great! Will have to get this sometime.
Keranu

Postby esteban » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:12 am

You know, I would not have picked up this HuCard anytime soon because I thought it was totally generic-looking.

However, now that it has been officially endorsed by mr. rr...

I'm still a bit skeptical about the "battle" system, but I'm pretty damn forgiving, especially with games like this.

I have to ask, though, if there is a 9,000 floor tower that we have to ascend in 'Shada. Is there?

The music alone made me curious, the Ys-cloning cinched it.
esteban

Postby runinruder » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:19 pm

esteban wrote:I have to ask, though, if there is a 9,000 floor tower that we have to ascend in 'Shada. Is there?

Nope. Shada's tower has ELEVEN THOUSAND floors. :P

Seriously though, none of its areas are particularly large or complex (but they're not stupidly small/simple, either).
runinruder

Next

Return to Lucifer Alpha