[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - Popful Mail Sega-CD

Popful Mail Sega-CD

General Video Game discussion

Re: Popful Mail Sega-CD

Postby Black Tiger » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:49 pm

guts wrote:
Black Tiger wrote:Legacy of the Wizard, holy shit. Man I used to rent that one every so often when I was young, but could never get anywhere in it. It just fascinated me for some reason so I kept coming back; I had no idea it was by Falcolm (who I loved because of Ys on Master System) until years and years later but when I found out I was like "Oh shit, so that's why the game is so fascinating despite the horrendous flaws." I think if someone released a hack of the game where the little annoyances like your health dropping when you fall too far and shit like that were fixed it'd be so much more enjoyable. A remake might be nice too, but it'd be hard to get people to put up with the annoyances without the NES charm.

Yeah, I discover it's relation to other Falcom games I enjoyed until well after I got online. Legacy of the Wizard is one of those games that I tried once or twice and got no where, but then at one point everything suddenly clicked and while on roll I continued all the way through to the end (same deal with Night Creatures, Rambo NES, Lord of the Sword and many more). It was surprising to find a more traditional boss battle at the end, kinda like Zillion. It is so satisfying to beat a game like LotW without any kind of strategy guide or outside help. Bitd I did my best to ignore any kinds of tips I came across in mags and tried to finish questy type games without advice from friends who's played them.

I also hate taking damage from falling in games. I love jumping and always get a thrill from falling long distances in 2D and 3D games and taking damage, even only tiny amounts, always breaks the exhilaration for me.

runinruder wrote:I remember when Nintendo Power did a feature on Ultima Exodus and Legacy of the Wizard. They both looked awesome to me and I had to have them. Like you, I was young and had a hard time with Legacy at first, and I found some little things annoying about it too, so I wasn't the biggest fan of it. But yeah, I found it compelling too. The whole using different family members thing was kind of neat. What I remember liking most about it was the excellent tune that played at some screen where I think you had to select items or something.

Broderbund was one of the kings of publishing interesting NES games. Legacy, Guardian Legend, Battle of Olympus. Hell, even Deadly Towers had a lot of interesting ideas.

I remember how the family seemed to be living in a tree fort and I pictured them as being stranded like Swiss Family Robinson and that defeating the dragon was the only way they could return home somehow. Then at the end of the game, they just walk one screen over from the tree and it turns out that all along it was the backyard of their nice looking house! They could've been relaxing indoors the entire time. Instead they chose to crawl into a hole they found, even shoving their children down there, just to see what they would find. :P

I finished all of those games. :) Guardian Legend is probably my favorite. Deadly Towers is unfair, but I loved the challenge and non-linear gameplay. Difficult or even broken adventure/RPG/etc games are often more enjoyable to defeat than boringly easy games. I believe that Deadly Towers was one of the games like Roger Rabbit, in which you could enter in any random password and get a result.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Outer Heaven