[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
TurboGrafx Network • View topic - A Thread to Celebrate Holidays.

A Thread to Celebrate Holidays.

General discussion

Re: A Thread to Celebrate Holidays.

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:51 am

Today is Valentine's Day, a day where love is celebrated and items such as candies, flowers, stuffed animals, jewelery, and electronics are given to loved ones to show their affection towards their admired one. As for me, I've only gotten two pieces of Pearson's Mint Patties candy, which a bag of them was offered in my PHIL 102 class for the students to take a piece or few once we were done with the exam we took on Thursday. I took two of them as I considered to give one to my father as a present. He did ask me this morning if I wanted a gift card from either Best Buy or Target, but I told him I wasn't sure if I needed another one (as I recently had gotten a pop-up Best Buy gift card from my grandmother that I plan not to use until Monday), so I do not know if he purchased one for me; still, it was nice of him to ask me what I would like for Valentine's Day.
"You are Gogan, the Mighty Warrior. Living long ago, in a faraway place, you are strong of body, keen of mind. But you now face an awesome challenge." - From the "Welcome Gogan - Mighty Warrior" section of The Legendary Axe manual.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby esteban » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 am

Game Boy Kirby wrote:Today is Valentine's Day, a day where love is celebrated and items such as candies, flowers, stuffed animals, jewelery, and electronics are given to loved ones to show their affection towards their admired one. As for me, I've only gotten two pieces of Pearson's Mint Patties candy, which a bag of them was offered in my PHIL 102 class for the students to take a piece or few once we were done with the exam we took on Thursday. I took two of them as I considered to give one to my father as a present. He did ask me this morning if I wanted a gift card from either Best Buy or Target, but I told him I wasn't sure if I needed another one (as I recently had gotten a pop-up Best Buy gift card from my grandmother that I plan not to use until Monday), so I do not know if he purchased one for me; still, it was nice of him to ask me what I would like for Valentine's Day.

Don't forget mylar balloons filled with helium! They have become an important part of Valentine's Day, especially when they are adorned with printed hearts and "I Love You" messages.
esteban

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 am

esteban wrote:
Game Boy Kirby wrote:Today is Valentine's Day, a day where love is celebrated and items such as candies, flowers, stuffed animals, jewelery, and electronics are given to loved ones to show their affection towards their admired one. As for me, I've only gotten two pieces of Pearson's Mint Patties candy, which a bag of them was offered in my PHIL 102 class for the students to take a piece or few once we were done with the exam we took on Thursday. I took two of them as I considered to give one to my father as a present. He did ask me this morning if I wanted a gift card from either Best Buy or Target, but I told him I wasn't sure if I needed another one (as I recently had gotten a pop-up Best Buy gift card from my grandmother that I plan not to use until Monday), so I do not know if he purchased one for me; still, it was nice of him to ask me what I would like for Valentine's Day.

Don't forget mylar balloons filled with helium! They have become an important part of Valentine's Day, especially when they are adorned with printed hearts and "I Love You" messages.

Ah ha, yes, but that list wasn't meant to be inclusive 8-) . At a local Wal-Mart that I went to on Thursday, I had seen the store offer balloons that could contain a stuffed animal of the person's choice, and were created on-the-spot for customers. I've seen this type of gift years back before as my mother, as I recall, got an Easter Egg basket contained in a balloon for a friend who was leaving the workplace, but it's still nifty to see this type of gift being offered in stores for the consumer's loved one.
"You are Gogan, the Mighty Warrior. Living long ago, in a faraway place, you are strong of body, keen of mind. But you now face an awesome challenge." - From the "Welcome Gogan - Mighty Warrior" section of The Legendary Axe manual.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:59 am

President's Day is today, which is a day meant to celebrate the presidents that governed over our country within the past years. I did have a nice day off today, though, as I used the gift card that my grandmother gave me as a birthday present today to buy three games for myself, which were Final Fantasy IV DS, Chrono Trigger DS, and the Wii version of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, and I was able to work on some of my math homework today, as well. The extra day off, I felt, was much needed to give me time to catch up and relax for a little until I begin going to school tomorrow again, and it did very well in this regard, too.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:12 pm

Today is Ash Wednesday. This could mean that the honor of making ashes out of a deceased person is celebrated. I've seen AOL and Google decorate their home pages with masquerade masks and beaded necklaces. Could Ash Wednesday also celebrate masquerade shows? I'm not too sure.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby Game Boy Kirby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:21 am

It's been a while since I've last posted on this forum (as I'm currently endorsing on a low amount of Internet activity in places useable for socialization, as my schoolwork has been building up on me), but I hoped that everyone who is a member here had a Happy St. Patrick's Day :mrgreen:. It was a pretty hot one for me here in Las Vegas, and as the only wearable green clothing I had was my sister's left-behind Green Bay Packers sweater, I was left feeling very sweaty from the drive home. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable one for me, as I started playing Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 for a couple of hours (so far up to the beginning of Chapter 2, it's pretty incredible in terms of story and surgery procedures, and the music for battling the Post-GUILT Syndrome is the best score I've heard up to that point). I probably won't be posting very frequently on these forums, but I'll be around here on the given occasion.
Game Boy Kirby

Postby Keranu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:15 am

It's nice to see someone who can make a St. Patrick's Day post without mentioning alcohol, fighting, laziness, and all those other Irish stereotypes that are shoved down people's throats.
Keranu

Postby Black Tiger » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 pm

Keranu wrote:It's nice to see someone who can make a St. Patrick's Day post without mentioning alcohol, fighting, laziness, and all those other Irish stereotypes that are shoved down people's throats.

I was shocked by the photos on the covers of the local papers the day after the St Patrick's Day parade as well as everything I heard on the radio on the actual day itself. The worst offenders were all the people bragging about being Irish and talking about the line ups outside all the Irish pubs that morning, waiting for them to open.
Black Tiger
Site Admin

Postby Keranu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:53 am

Yeah unfortunately people with Irish descent aren't exactly helping the stereotypes :evil: . A lot of people will probably mock me and say I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but I think the alcoholism stereotypes can be pretty serious under certain situations.

Say you were an Irish person or of notable Irish descent (red hair, pale skin) and were a recovering alcoholic. Now lets say you meet someone and he asks your name and you respond "Patty O'Donohue". From that moment on, the guy starts ragging on your Irishness and at some point brings up drinking and constantly pressures you into going to a bar with him by saying stuff like "Oh c'mon, you know you Irish people can never stop drinking". Even though your good senses should tell you to just drop it, imagine how hard it would be to resist and the devastating relapse you could've fell into just because of your ethnicity.

The thing that bothers me is that St. Patrick's Day has turned into a big advertisment for alcohol and yet no one sees anything wrong with that. I can only imagine the kind of outrage that would happen if KFC or Popeyes had big, nation wide sale of a fried chicken, watermelon, and malt liquor combo on Martin Luther King Jr. day. Oh well, the only thing you can really do is just ignore all that kind of crap.
Keranu

Previous

Return to Alta Milla